Looking for responsible, ethical honeymoon travel tips? Of course you are, because you know thatliving a compassionate life in line with your ethics is all kinds of sexy。
So, we’re here to help with 18 travel considerations for conscious couples like you who want to make sure that you do no harm on your honeymoon travels. Get ethical honeymoon travel tips on what to avoid, and how to use your travel experience as an opportunity to leave a bit of love in the places that you visit.
“递下来，获得积极影响的最佳方式（或者至少是一个不好的人）是为了做所有的一切，”Irina Vishnevskaya说，Travel Planner + Alle Travel的创始人。If you’re drinking wine, pick a local one to support the local winemaker, says Irina. This reduces the need to ship heavy bottles across the world. “It’s really, really bad for the environment AND the local economy when you choose to drink French wine in Peru, for example. It’s not only the responsible-traveler thing to do, but it also makes for far more fulfilling and enjoyable travels.”
- Be mindful of your use of water and electricity while traveling.
Know that even though you’re not the one directly footing the bill, someone is, and not just monetarily, says Irina Vishnevskaya. In many parts of the world, electricity isn’t as basic as you may be used to, and clean (warm!) water is a real luxury. “Be conscious of lights and turn them off when not using them, turn the running water off when you brush your teeth, and wait till you get home to stand under the shower for 30 minutes and ponder the meaning of life.”阿门！
In certain parts of the world, bargaining for products is a part of the culture. And as a visitor, it can sometimes feel like local shopkeepers or taxi drivers are trying to take advantage of you. “By all means, do stand up for yourself and bargain- it’s can be a great way to interact with locals and even make friends,” says Irina Vishnevskaya. “But please keep in mind the bigger picture when bargaining- it’s easy to slip into intense negotiations over a mere $1.Think about how far that small bit of cash can go for the local you are purchasing from.Consider that the fair market price of any good or service iswhat is it worth to you那not the furthest you can possibly drive the price down.记住 - 如果你不三思而后行驶两次关于漂移的酒店，或者享受游泳池的美味鸡尾酒，那就停止欺负当地的几美元。“
- MORE TO READ:18 Top Tips for Planning the Best Honeymoon Ever!
- You may have visions of riding elephants or getting a photo with a tiger, but please don’t.
In situations like this, the animal’s life is turned into a charade for tourists,and no matter what you may be told: no, the animal is not happy, Irina Vishnevskaya说。(这也是一个是p of the most important ethical honeymoon travel tips in our books.) This doesn’t mean all wildlife is off the table, though! Seek out initiatives which allow you reasonable proximity to observe wildlife that does not encroach on their natural behaviors, such as safaris and treks which are effective in protecting wildlife as well as giving the local communities a stable source of income. “You can do treks in Borneo to see Orangutans- there, you can stay in luxurious rainforest lodges and see Orangutans in their natural habitat,” says Irina Vishnevskaya.
- Avoid the “volunteerism” trap at orphanages in third world countries.
Your visit is likely making the institutionalization of children profitable那doing more damage than good。考虑一下，除非您拥有专业技能或培训，否则允许您与自己的祖国中同类年龄的儿童合作，您可能没有资格帮助其他孩子。相反，询问您是否有当地的保护或社会项目，您可以访问您的旅行do not rely on interaction with young or orphaned确保您坚持您的伦理蜜月旅行的意图。
- Research and respect the culture of the place that you are honeymooning in.
Dress and behave appropriately. “Remember: you are a guest, and you are to respect the culture you’re visiting- it’s you who should adapt to the local way of life, not vice versa,” suggests Irina Vishnevskaya. “Wear clothing that is accepted by the local culture, even if it means dressing more modestly than you’re used to. Yes, even if it’s really hot and humid. Observe local customs and follow them as much as possible- there are many different concepts of time, personal space, communication etc. do your best to remind yourself thatthere is no wrong or inferior, just different。”
- Support local businesses and sellers for more ethical honeymoon travel.
- If you plan on bringing back souvenirs, make sure that they are locally made and fair trade.
There’s little value or authenticity in purchasing a bauble made in China when you’re in Uganda. The carbon cost of transporting these knick-knacks adds another reason to instead choose a locally-made curio. If you’re unsure, ask the vendor who made the item, suggests Misty from绿色手提箱旅行。(Check out some more ethical travel pointers here。)
- 不要购买由濒危物种的部分地购买的商品，如海龟壳or the ivory of elephants tusks. This supports the capture, murder and illegal trade of species that have already had their numbers decimated and are in danger of disappearing from the planet. Seriously, we can do better, can’t we? And don’t take home shells or coral –in many countries this is illegal, anyway. Instead, find a local artist or sanctuary where you can support someone who draws, paints, sculpts or even designs fabrics inspired by prints of the creature you are honoring, without contributing to their death.
- 在当地语言中学习一些基本短语，包括“谢谢”，“请”，“你好”，“是”，“否”和“否”和“再见”，最小值。不仅是这种有趣的方式让自己更深入地沉浸在当地文化中，但它也几乎总是引出来自与众不同的当地人的微笑或热烈的回应。当您对他们展示兴趣时，人们对您感兴趣，谁知道 - 您甚至可能会通过制作新的当地朋友获得奖励。
- Be respectful when photographing in public. Especially when visiting holy, sacred sights or memorials- 了解周围的人可能正在练习他们的宗教信仰，哀悼爱人，或者根本不希望被拍照。意识到人们对被拍摄的敏感性;总是先问。如果您拍摄了一个清晰地穿着传统装备并为您摆姿势的当地人，请务必适当地提示他们作为感恩，尊重和公平性的迹象。
- Don’t leave your trash behind.
这是至关重要的,当你走到奥西ans or water on a scuba or snorkeling trip, but just as relevant for a dip on the local ocean. When the chemicals from sunblock get into water they decrease corals’ defenses against bleaching, damage their DNA and防止珊瑚复制和存活in their natural environments. Stock up on eco and reef-friendly sunscreen before you travel.
- Consider the environmental cost of hotel amenities.
Enjoy the ocean or sea instead of choosing a hotel for its swimming pool.The resource and environmental cost of certain amenities like swimming pools are high, and an important point of consideration for your ethical honeymoon travel. “If you can do without it, please do! Enjoy the natural sea or ocean, instead,” suggests Irina. “In every corner of the world, you can find hotel properties that care about the local environment and community- do your research and stay at those instead.”
- 为恐怖的鬣蜥或野生生物而脱颖而出的街头供应商的野生生物并不令人贪心。These little beings have been plucked from the wild and are under extreme distress outside of their natural habitat. Not only are they removed from their ecological families, they are also often mishandled, underfed, malnourished, neglected at best, and experience horrific abuse at worst. It fuels the animal trade and is defs not cute.
- Think critically about your motive and your possible impact before going for “township tours”, “slum tours” and the like.You are visiting the homes of mothers, fathers, sisters, and brothers just like yourself. Be mindful of your interactions in another’s community. Are you inadvertentlyparticipating in poverty porn– there to gawk at the spectacle of another’s destitution? Or are you there to help rebuild, form connections and help empower? Look for ways that you can participate in upliftment projects, or support vendors in the local community in a manner that treats community members as your equals.Make an informed decision by asking yourself these questions, and support ethical tour operators should you go this route.
- 在您的目的地寻找一日游，避免在生态困扰下已经存在的景点。大众旅游留下了废物，污染，遗址破坏，这可以摧毁许多自然栖息地。Phi Phi Island在泰国，着名的位置'海滩“主演Leonardo Dicaprio被枪杀，每天都会看到多达5000名游客。这种抽取的珊瑚礁，使该地区无法居住在海洋生活中。当地当局被迫在保护主义者的帮助下施加旅游禁令，以恢复该地区。确保您的道德蜜月旅行没有促使已经脆弱的生态系统的破坏，并选择支持保护努力的旅行。
Instead of riding on the overworked backs of exhausted, enslaved elephants in Thailand, go for a visit to a true elephant sanctuary where your admission fee helps to cover the cost of feeding and housing these magnificent creatures. It is essential to do proper research before your ethical honeymoon travel and to be highly critical of any organization claiming to be a sanctuary. We’re in deep into the age of greenwashing, where savvy exploiters rebrand their marketing materials to make false claims of rehabilitation.你参观的避难所是如何道德的？
NEXT:下载这个可爱的+detailed honeymoon packing checklist PDFto pack your bags like a pro!
Looking for moreethical wedding ideas?
- 10 Reasons to Rock a Conflict-Free Engagement Ring
- 看看这对夫妇Sustainable Boho Vegan Wedding at Summer Solstice
- 看看我们的fave vegan weddings